Note: this article was originally posted in January 2015
- Make sure you have an active connection to the web. When Adapt It installs for the first time, it’s installer will go to a web address to download and install the GIT distributed version control software. Adapt It will use GIT for storage (and potential retrieval) of ‘snapshots’ of your adaptation documents. If there is no web connection, GIT will not be installed. Adapt It will still work, but the File > “Save and remember in history” command will not save a document snapshot. To rectify this problem, when you next have an active web connection, re-install the already downloaded version from the original installer file.
- Now do steps 1. to 6. of the above instructions described in the item:
“Downloading A New Version Of Adapt It for Windows & Installing It”,then follow up with the steps below…
- Launch Adapt It (by double-clicking a desktop launcher icon, or clicking once if there is an Adapt It icon shown on the system’s taskbar, or from the Windows Start button’s All Programs menu, or however a program is started on your operating system).
- The initial Adapt It window will be quite small, and it will display a “Welcome” message. Click the OK button. Adapt It will then show you the first page of the Start Working… wizard.
(The Start Working… wizard is where you go to create a new adaptation project, enter an existing project, create a new adaptation document, or get access to an existing adaptation document. When creating a new project, it will also allow you to set up other things, such as the fonts you want to use, their sizes, their colours, punctuation characters, capitalization options, and other things. These options can also be visited at a later time from within Adapt It, by clicking Preferences… in the Edit menu.)
- You now will be looking at the “Choose a Project” page of the wizard. You can make your first project now if you like. But I recommend that you do that later. Instead, let’s fix the problem of the small Adapt It window, and give the Adapt It window a good location for the future. Do the following…
a) Click Cancel to exit from the Start Working… wizard.
b) Click in the very top of the window (the title bar area) and while keeping your finger on the mouse button, drag the whole window so that its top left is where you want it to be later on. Release the mouse button.
c) Click at the bottom-right corner of the window (when you see the cursor shape change to a diagonal double-headed arrow, oriented northwest to south east, you are at the correct location), and while keeping your finger down on the left mouse button, drag the window boundary down and to the right. Resize the window so that it is large enough for you to do useful work later on. Release the mouse button.
- Close Adapt It. A good way to do this is to click the X button at the top right of the window.
When you close it, Adapt It will write out its configuration files – the basic one will store for future use the window location and size, and use those settings each time you start a new Adapt It session.
- You are now ready to launch Adapt It and create a project to work in, and your first document in that project. That will be discussed in the another topic:
“Making Your First Project And First Document Within That Project“
Installing Adapt It for the First Time